The Lakes Area Writers Alliance is proud to announce the winners of their 2019 Writers Contest. Writers from across Minnesota entered their works in the categories of poetry, creative nonfiction, and fiction.
The winners in the category of poetry include:
- 1st Place – Yvonne Pearson with her poem, The School Bus Driver.
- 2nd Place – Lina Belar with her poem, Tumbleweed.
- Honorable Mention also goes to Yvonne Pearson with her poem, Log Cabin.
The winners in the category of creative nonfiction include:
- 1st Place – Laura Hansen with her piece entitled, Portrait of a Wedding.
- 2nd Place – Yvonne Pearson with her piece, My Mother’s Gift.
- Honorable Mention goes to Diane Schlagel with her piece, Teachers Turned Turkey Farmers.
The winners in the category of fiction include:
- 1st Place – Joe Prosit with his short story entitled, Pre-Triage.
- 2nd Place – Laura Hansen with her story, The Village Made of Thread.
- Honorable Mention goes to Becky Flansburg with her story, Heavenly Strawberry.
Help the winners celebrate their wins, as well as learn various aspects of writing at the Lakes Area Writers Alliance 2019 Writers Conference, coming up October 26th.
Congrats to all the winners!
The Lakes Area Writers Alliance is a nonprofit organization in Brainerd MN geared toward helping published and unpublished writers demystify the writing process, as well as encourage them on their writing journey. They meet the third Saturday of the month, from 10am – 1pm in the large activity room of Bethany Good Samaritan (804 Wright Street). To learn more or become a member, visit the website at www.lawamn.org or email email@example.com.